(Last Updated: June 4, 2021)
Who We Are
Personal Information that We Collect
Collection for Third Parties
Tracking Technologies, such as Cookies and Flash LSO's
Information about Minors
Purpose for Which Your Personal Information is Processed
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Information
Security of Personal Information
Requests for Access to and Correction of Personal Information
Retention of Your Personal Information
Contact Information for Privacy Officer
1. What personal information do we collect?
2. Why do we collect personal information and how is it used?
We use your personal information to provide our services to you, to process transactions with you, to provide customer service, market products and services that we think you may be interested in (including of our affiliated companies), for our own internal purposes and as required by law.
3. Is personal information shared or disclosed?
We may disclose your personal information to our employees and contractors, our Franchisees, visitors of our Website (to the extent you leave a public posting on the Website), our business partners and affiliated companies, our service providers, advertising and social media networks, partners in business transactions and otherwise as legally required.
4. What are the risks?
Although we take steps to safeguard the personal information under our control, “perfect security” does not exist.
5. What else should you know?
We use employees and service providers and share your personal information with our affiliated Authority Brands family of companies that will have access to your personal information from the United States. This means that your information may be transferred to, or stored in, the United States and accessible to courts, law enforcement and national security authorities in the United States.
You can direct any questions or concerns regarding our compliance with this Policy and our processing of your personal information to our Privacy Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Policy describes our practices with respect to how we may collect, use, disclose, retain, dispose and otherwise process (collectively, “process” or “processing”) your personal information and how you may correct, update and access your personal information that you provide as a user of (a) the website operated at https://www.thecleaningauthority.ca/,and other locations from time to time (the “Website”), and (b) the services we offer to you (collectively, our “Services”).
Likewise, our Website may contain links or direct you to other websites, software, service providers or Internet resources (the “Other Providers”) which are provided solely for your convenience, benefit and information. When you click on one of those links, you are contacting another website, software, service provider or Internet resource. We are not responsible or liable for, nor have control over those Other Providers or how they process your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of those Other Providers to learn how they process your personal information.
- Who We Are
Cleaning Authority reliable and affordable professional maid services. Cleaning Authority is based in the United States, and as noted above, is composed of multiple locations, each of which is independently owned and operated by a franchisee.
Cleaning Authority is a subsidiary of Authority Brands, LLC, an American limited liability company that is the parent company of numerous industry-leading home service brands. You can learn more about Authority Brands at www.theauthoritybrands.com.
- Personal Information that We Collect
For the purposes of this Policy, “personal information” means any identifiable information about an individual, including but not limited to an individual’s name, home address, telephone number, social insurance number, gender, income and family status, except any other information otherwise exempted by the applicable laws of Canada and other jurisdictions. For example, in Canada, personal information does not include any business contact information that is processed solely to communicate with that person about his or her employment or profession.
When you use our Website or Services, we may collect the following personal information from you:
- Demographic information such as gender, age, marital status, and location of residence (city/province/country);
- Contact information such as name, email address, mailing address, and phone number;
- Information about our Services that you are interested in;
- Billing information such as credit card number and billing address;
- Unique identifiers such as username, account number, and password; and
- Professional information such as name of employer, occupation, location of occupation, and insurance.
Your personal information may be collected when:
- you register for an account with us;
- you sign up for our Services or during our provision of Services to you;
- you participate in a contest;
- you contact us in person, by phone, email or any other method of communication;
- you connect with us through social media;
- we collect data from third parties or publicly-available sources as further described in this Policy.
We only collect personal information that we need. We encourage you to not provide us with any personal information beyond what is necessary and as requested by us.
Collection from Third Parties
We do not knowingly collect your personal information from a third party unless you consent or we are otherwise exempted, required or permitted by applicable laws to do so. For example, we may collect your personal information from the following third parties:
- Our Franchisees, who will provide us with your contact information and information about the Services that you have requested;
- Marketing companies that we work with, who provide us with prospective contact lists that may include your personal information, such as your name and contact information;
- Financial institutions that we work with to evaluate loans that you may request in association with our products and services or to process payments;
- Your authorized representative(s), including, but not limited, your caregivers, medical providers, family members or powers of attorney;
- To the extent not mentioned above, other organizations that you previously consented to collect your personal information and to share information with us; and
- Public sources to the extent that your personal information is publicly available.
If we collect your personal information from a third party, we will only process that information for the specific purpose for which it was provided to us in accordance with this Policy and the policy under which that information was collected.
Tracking Technologies, such as Cookies and Flash LSOs
To ensure our Website is optimized for your use and for future communications between you and us, we may save your user data in the form of cookies or log files and use such cookies or log files to collect standard Internet log information about how and when you use our Website. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your device’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site and services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Site and service. There are two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
- Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your device when you close your browser or turn off your device. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the Site and Services. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our Site and Services. This information may include, but not be limited to, your IP address and location data, weblogs, time zone, date, your language preferences, browsers used, web addressees visited, other communication data, searches conducted and pages visited.
- Persistent cookies remain on your device after you have closed your browser or turned off your device. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity, and to display advertising both on our Site, services, and on websites of other entities.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, disabling cookies may not allow certain features on our Website to function properly.
We may use Flash Local Storage Objects (“Flash LSOs”) to store your Website preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose “Global Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose “Website Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions to review and, if you choose, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
We, and our service providers, including Google, may use the information that we collect about you to help us and our service providers identify other devices that you use (e.g., a mobile phone, tablet, computer, etc.). We, and our service providers, also may use the cross-device use and other information we learn about you to serve targeted advertising on each of your devices and to send you emails. To opt-out of cross-device advertising, you may follow the instructions set forth in the Ad Networks section below. Please note: if you opt-out of these targeted advertising cookies, your opt-out will be specific to the web browser, app, or device from which you accessed the opt-out. If you use multiple devices or web browsers, you will need to opt-out each browser or device that you use.
Users may opt out of many ad networks. For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") Consumer Choice Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and their choices regarding having information used by DAA companies. You may also go to the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") Consumer Opt-Out Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and their choices regarding having information used by NAI members.
However, please note that Opting out from one or more companies listed on the DAA Consumer Choice Page or the NAI Consumer Opt-Out Page will opt you out from those companies' delivery of interest-based content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any advertising through our Site, Services, or on other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e., contextually based ads). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt out on the DAA or NAI websites, your opt out may not be effective. Additional information is available on the DAA's website at www.aboutads.info or the NAI's website at www.networkadvertising.org.
We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the website and to understand more about the demographics of our users. In gathering this information we are able to enhance your experience when visiting our website. You can learn how to opt-out of analytics by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available here.
Information about Minors
We do not knowingly collect personal information about any minor. No such minor, nor any parent or guardian as it relates to such minor, should submit such minor’s personal information to us through the Website, our Services or otherwise for any reason and under any circumstances.
- Purpose for Which Your Personal Information is Processed
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- for the purpose of providing our Services to you, including to tailor content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our Services;
- for the purpose of processing transactions with you, including to approve credit or loan applications that you submit to and to process payments;
- for the purpose of customer service, including to respond to your enquiries and to administer our customer loyalty program;
- for the purposes of marketing our products to you, including, determining relevant advertising content and media, evaluating the success of our advertising campaigns (including online targeted advertising and offline promotional campaigns, and, to the extent that you have opted-in to receiving communications, communicating with you by telephone, text message or email about: (1) our products and Services, including newsletters about our products and Services; (2) products and services of our affiliated companies (and brands offered by those affiliates as noted at www.theauthoritybrands.com); and (3) products and services offered by other brands within the Authority Brands family; and
- for our own purposes, including to share your personal information with our employees, contractors, franchisees, consultants and third party service providers such as web hosting providers, advertising agencies, payment processors or customer service agencies (“Third Party Processors”) who use this information to assist us with establishing, maintaining, managing and improving our relationship with you and optimizing and providing the Website and our Services for your use and benefit.
In addition to the above, we may use your personal information when required to comply with applicable laws, to prevent fraud, abuse and credit risks, as otherwise described in this Policy or for other purposes that we may communicate to you from time to time.
We will only process your personal information for the Purpose(s) for which we intend to process such information. Otherwise, we will not process your personal information without your consent.
- Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information as follows:
- to our employees and contractors who have a need to know such information. Such employees may include staffs from our marketing department, sales department, financial services department, and IT department.
- to other visitors of our website, who will be able to see your user name and any information that you publicly post to our Website, including reviews, testimonials, comments, text, photos and videos.
- to our business partners, including affiliated companies in the Authority Brands family, who we think might be of interest to you. These brands may market their products and services directly to you and may share your information with their respective franchisees, who may also independently market their products and services to you.
- to our service providers that perform functions on our behalf, including web hosting providers, analytics providers, advertising agencies, payment processors and customer service agencies.
- to advertising and social media networks, who assist us in advertising on and off our Website. For example, we participate in the Facebook Custom Audience program, in which we share your email address with Facebook, which in turn will assist in delivering relevant advertising to our customers who also use Facebook.
- to partners in business transactions for the potential sale of all or part of our business or assets or to merge with another businesses to the extent that certain information is relevant to such transactions. In such cases, the information that is shared is limited to what is necessary to accomplish the transaction, and we take appropriate steps to protect the information from improper use or disclosure. Upon completion of the transaction, your information may be transferred to the purchaser, to be used in the same manner that it was used by us in accordance with this Policy.
- to law enforcement, government or regulatory bodies, other lawful authorities or when otherwise legally required to do so.
In addition to the above, please note that we are an American company and will process and store your personal information that we collect in accordance with this policy in the United States. We also use service providers in the United States and, as noted above, share information with our affiliated Authority Brands family of companies, who are also located in the United States. By using our Website or our Services, or otherwise by choosing to provide us with your personal information, you acknowledge and consent to the processing of your personal information in the United States in accordance with this Policy and as may be further identified when the personal information is collected. You further acknowledge and understand that by storing and processing your personal information in the United States, your personal information may be accessible to law enforcement and regulatory authorities in accordance with the USA PATRIOT Act, the USA Freedom Act and other applicable laws of the United States or elsewhere.
- Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Information
We will process your personal information only with your knowledge and consent, except where exempted, required or permitted by applicable laws. The form of consent may vary depending on the circumstances and the type of information being requested. Your consent may be express with clear options to say “yes” or “no”, such as by being asked to check a box to indicate your consent, or implied, such as when you provide us with your address through a form or email seeking information and we use those means to respond to your request. Your consent can also be provided by your authorized representative. Taking into account the sensitivity of your personal information, purposes of collection, and your reasonable expectations, we will obtain the form of consent that is appropriate to the personal information being processed. By using our Website or Services, or otherwise by choosing to provide us with your personal information, you acknowledge and consent to the processing of your personal information in accordance with this Policy and as may be further identified when the personal information is collected. When we process your personal information for a new purpose, we will document that new purpose and ask for your consent again.
If you do not consent to the processing of your personal information in accordance with this Policy, please do not access, use or continue to use any of the Website or Services or otherwise provide any personal information to us.
You may refuse to provide consent or may notify us at any time that you wish to withdraw or change your consent to the processing of your personal information without penalty, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice by (i) changing your privacy preferences and cookie settings through your browser (ii) deleting your account with the Website and stopping use of the Website and our Services, or (iii) opting out of the use of your personal information such as unsubscribing to any newsletter or mailing list subscription that we provide through the Website or otherwise. However, if you withdraw or change your consent, we may not be able to provide you with our Services through the Website.
- Security of Personal Information
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow and employ generally accepted industry standards as appropriate to the sensitivity of your personal information that you submit both during transmission and once we receive it. We take physical, administrative, contractual and technological safeguards to protect personal information, and insist that our service providers do the same. We insist that our personnel and those of our providers to only access and use personal information on a “need to know” basis to properly perform those duties, and even then only to the strict extent necessary to perform them.
However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is completely secure; as such, despite our safeguards and protocols, we cannot fully guarantee the security of your personal information and you should always exercise caution when disclosing personal information over the Internet.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
- Requests for Access to and Correction of Personal Information
Applicable privacy laws allow, to varying degrees, individuals the right to access and/or request the correction of errors or omissions in his or her personal information that is in our custody or under our control. Our Privacy Officer will assist you with such an access request. This includes:
- personal information under our custody or control;
- how this personal information under our control may be or has been used by us; and
- names of any individuals and organizations to which the individual’s personal information has been disclosed.
We will respond to requests within the time allowed by applicable privacy laws and will make every effort to respond as accurately and completely as possible. Any corrections made to personal information will be promptly sent to any organization it was disclosed to.
In certain exceptional circumstances, we may not be able to provide access to certain personal information it holds about an individual. If access cannot be provided, we will notify the individual making the request within 30 days, in writing, of the reasons for the refusal
- CASL Policy
We are committed to compliance with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (“CASL”). Any electronic communication we send to outside parties is protected by a range of business procedures, processes and policies to ensure that such communication is done in compliance with CASL. In our electronic communications with outside parties, we comply with the rules established by CASL and enforced by various Canadian authorities including the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. CASL regulates, and our policies generally apply to, each commercial electronic message we send (a “CEM”) we send. A CEM is an electronic message sent to an electronic address that, among its purposes, encourages participation in a commercial activity.
In addition to adopting this Policy, we undertook various initiatives out of transparency to ensure we comply with CASL, which include:
- Consent— we do not send you CEMs without your consent. This consent typically must be “express” (expressly acknowledged by you), but in certain circumstances can be “implied” or specifically exempt from consent requirements. We modified or adopted our sign-up, registration and consent forms in order to ensure that your consent is meaningful (i.e. informed and freely given) as per CASL. When we collect your electronic contact information, you will know the exact purposes behind the collection.
Content— we adopted processes to ensure that our CEMs contain the following
requirements prescribed under CASL, which will usually be in the footer
of the CEM. We will:
- Identify ourselves as the party sending the CEM, and whether we are sending the message on our own behalf or on behalf of someone else;
- Provide you with our contact information; and
- Set out a clear, working unsubscribe mechanism or preference centre that is easy to use, automatic, and at no cost to you (other than your own cost of connecting to the Internet).
- Clarity— we ensured that each aspect of a CEM, including its header, content, or any links or URLs in the CEM) conveys the appropriate information, whether viewed individually or taken as a whole, so that you always know what you are clicking on.
If you receive a CEM from us but believe that you should not have or no longer wish to receive CEMs, we will aim to respect your preferences in a timely manner once you update them through our unsubscribe mechanism. CASL requires us to process unsubscribe requests within 10 business days. If you have any questions or concerns about our unsubscribe options, you may contact us at the address indicated below.
- Retention of Your Personal Information
We keep your information only for as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes and compliance with legal requirements. Personal information used to decide on a matter that directly affects an individual will be kept for at least two years. We ensure that our retention standards meet these parameters by destroying or erasing your information once we no longer need your information, or once the required retention period passes. If we do not destroy or erase your information, we will remove any personally identifiable information so that it becomes anonymous.
- Contact Information for Privacy Officer
You can direct any questions or concerns regarding our compliance with this Policy and our processing of your personal information to our Privacy Officer by emailing email@example.com.
You will find the date of the latest update at the top of this Policy. We recommend that you print a copy of this Policy for your reference. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices to ensure you are aware of any changes. Your continued use of the Service signifies your acceptance of any changes to this Policy.